Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Mad Girl (Bryony Gordon)

Subtitle: A Happy Life with a Mixed-Up Mind

Why I have this book: Someone I follow on IG recommended it, so I bought it for Kindle.

I gave this book three stars on Goodreads. I did enjoy it, but it was hard to relate to the life this woman has lived. Apparently she's a well-known journalist in the UK, but I had never heard of her before. Lots of drugs, drinking, casual sex, etc. was the norm in her life prior to marriage. Yeah, I can't relate to that lifestyle.

While I thought the book was supposed to be more about her mental health, it felt more like a memoir and how her mental health issues played into the chaotic life she led. Yeah, the mental health issues were there, but for me, they were overshadowed a bit by the memoir part of the story.

It was interesting. I don't hate that I read it. She is actually quite funny and a good writer. I admit I probably googled more words and phrases in this book than maybe any other I've read. There were so many British sayings and words, and other commonly known things for those who are British or who live in the UK... and I just had no clue.

Lots of swearing, including the F-word. Lots of sleeping around (not described), lots of drinking and drug use, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment