Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Truth Seeking (Hans Mattsson and Christina Hanke)

The subtitle reads:

THE STORY OF HIGH-RANKING MORMON LEADER HANS MATTSSON SEEKING SINCERE ANSWERS FROM HIS CHURCH BUT INSTEAD FINDING CONTEMPT, FEAR, AND DOUBT... AND EVENTUALLY PEACE.

Yes, that's a very long subtitle, and it pretty much sums up what the book is about. Hans was actually an Area Seventy in Sweden, and is (at the time of this writing) the highest-ranked Church official to openly express doubts about the LDS Church (and eventually revoke his membership).

Why I have this book: I heard the author speak on a podcast about a topic that I am currently studying, so I bought his book.

I gave this book four stars on Goodreads. It's been translated from Swedish to English, and they probably could have had an English editor clean it up a bit. Since I knew it was translated, I was more relaxed about the errors than I am with American-published books that were originally written in English. ;) The writing is pretty matter-of-fact in tone, but that could be because of the translation. Maybe it has a different feel in the original Swedish.

I felt a lot of compassion and empathy for the journey Hans took with his faith, and I appreciate all he's done to share his story about choosing to walk away from the church his family had embraced for generations.

Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment