Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The War that Saved My Life (Kimberly Brubaker Bradley)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library.

I really, really liked this book. In fact, it would have been a 5 star book for me on Goodreads, except for one thing. It alludes to one main character being a lesbian. The problem I have with that is 1) This is a book for children - I'd say ages 10 and up. 2) It has NOTHING to do with the story. It doesn't add anything to it. It's like it's just thrown in there to be PC or to have a modern edge to it. I don't know. It  just seems out of place, especially since it's a book for children. I honestly think most young readers wouldn't even really process it, so what's the point?

Setting that one topic aside, I absolutely loved the rest of the book. Oh, the mom is a little unbelievably bad. Not quite realistic for me, but she plays such a small part in the story that I can dismiss it. The rest of the story is great. It reminds me of Good Night, Mr. Tom and Secrets of a Charmed Life (both reviewed earlier). It has the same warmth and feelings of love, but not quite the same depth. Maybe the target audience is a little younger.

In any case, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I read it.

Clean, although there are the hints that one character is possibly a lesbian.

No comments:

Post a Comment