Monday, June 8, 2015

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love (Sue Johnson)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library after a friend was telling me about it.

I made so many highlights in this book that I will likely buy it at some point. (Highlights that you put in a borrowed ebook show up in the book if you purchase it later.) From a psychological standpoint, this book fascinated me… especially the sections on forgiveness and trauma.

The premise is that there has been a lot of study and acceptance on the idea of infant/childhood attachment, but that we also have need of attachment as adults. Not just casual, surface, or broken attachments, but solid, deep, and trusting attachments. And just like with infants and children, a lack in those attachments prevents living a complete and fulfilling life.

The focus in on marriage, but I think it really can apply to any relationship.

There is a bit of swearing when the author quotes her clients, and there is a section on sexual relations. She also has a couple of client studies that involve homosexual couples.

No comments:

Post a Comment