Why I have this book: It was recommended by a friend and was also our book club choice for the month.
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I thought it was an enjoyable read and a great story line. The setting was intriguing (and disturbing), the characters and their relationships were interesting, the background of the Khmer Rouge taking over Cambodia added strong emotion...
On the other hand, I think a lot more could have been done with the story. It seemed as though the main characters' personalities and interaction changed very quickly. It seemed out of character for both of them, from what we had seen up to the point. There was an unanswered question or two, some simplistic and unrealistic things that happened. It was a good read, but it could have been amazing with some more depth added to it. There was just so much more story to tell.
Also, one of the reviewers on Amazon mentioned that he/she thought it was odd that the characters were based on real people, using their real names and photos and even some of their circumstances, and then writing a fiction story about them. I tend to agree. I'm not sure what the point of that was. Why not just make up characters to tell the story you want to tell?
If the point was to shed light on the circumstances of the people of Cambodia, then it worked for me. It renewed my interest in reading another book I've had on my wish list for years... When Broken Glass Floats: Growing Up Under the Khmer Rouge. If it came within my reach, I would also watch the documentary the author's son made about the people whose lives were the basis for this book. My eyes have been opened (once again) to the way people have to live in this world, and it reminds me to not only be grateful for what I have, but also to remember how many people need our help. And... even more important... how amazing the human spirit is to survive the most tragic and difficult of circumstances. I admire their strength of spirit.
All in all, I did like the book. It definitely has left me wanting more, which isn't always a bad thing.
Clean for the most part. There are two swear words that I remember, and some sad and disturbing realities described. There is some playful intimate banter between husband and wife. (Which is another thing... the author is using real people. Shouldn't their intimate relationship be off limits? There was nothing offensive about it, but still. Seems like it's not his place to add that to the story.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment