Friday, July 8, 2011

The Glass Castle (Jeannette Walls)

Why I have this book: I know a friend told me about it... we may have also read it as a book club book.

Okay... this is one of those books that sticks in your mind for a long time. It's just so unbelievable and sad and triumphant (in some ways)... also puzzling and disturbing and sometimes funny and sweet.

I don't know. It's so hard for me to fathom that anyone is surrounded by that many troubled people. I guess it's possible, and probably reality for more people than I can imagine. I can understand that everyone has someone that has mental issues or troubling behavior, but the author grew up with it on all sides. It was interesting to read this again after reading Half Broke Horses, which is about her maternal grandmother. I can see some similarities in how the grandmother and the mother parented ("buck up" type of parenting), but wow... something went amiss at some point, because the life of the author is just crazy.

I haven't decided if this book stays or not, so for now, it stays. It's not a book I could recommend to just anyone, but for those who are intrigued by the human story and are willing to sometimes go through the muck to understand what others go through, it's a fascinating memoir.

There is the filthiest of language as she quotes her parents and others (mostly her dad), and several instances of sexual misconduct are described.

1 comment:

  1. I actually really love that book. I've read it a few times. Her story was fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete